The Pursuit of Happiness by Patrice Tsague
December 3, 2010 Leave a comment
by Patrice Tsague
The American Declaration of Independence includes this famous line, “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of happiness.” One may argue that the term the pursuit of happiness is an empty slogan and the fuel behind our materialistic society. Since many entrepreneurs are in pursuit of happiness they believe that anything that will make them happy is their right to have. Although this view of happiness is unscriptural, the writers of the Declaration of Independence were not totally off base when they used those terms. The Bible does teach about happiness, but within the context of it being something that is a divine favor from God as a result of our obedience to His Word and His will.
The word “happiness” comes from the word “blessed”. In His Sermon on the Mount, in what is commonly known as the Beatitudes, Jesus says, “blessed [or happy] are the poor in spirit, blessed [or happy] are those who mourn blessed [or happy] are the meek, and blessed [or happy] are those who thirst and hunger after righteousness“. We can therefore conclude that God does want us to be happy, but this happiness is the bi-product of a spiritual pursuit and not the end unto itself. Happiness is not guaranteed; rather, it is a reward to those who do the will of the Father.
How do Biblical Entrepreneurs pursue this happiness? This happiness is attained by acquiring the following spiritual attributes taken from Matthew 5:3-11:
- Poor in spirit: Recognition of our spiritual poverty before God. We realize that we are incomplete; only He can enrich our lives and without Him we are miserable.
- Mourn: to have feeling of grief. We must not be too proud but rather grieve before God for the unrighteousness around us so He may bring us comfort.
- Meek: Power under control. We must not use our advantage or talents to advance our own agenda but rather to protect and defend others.
- Hunger and thirst after righteousness: we must continuously demonstrate a strong desire for God and His Word.
- Mercy: A sense of compassion which leads to action. We must demonstrate compassion towards others, especially those who are suffering.
- Pure in heart: A singleness of focus before God and allowing his word to transform us on the inside.
- Peacemakers: We must be people who attempt to bring harmony and reconciliation to those who are estranged from God and others.
- Persecuted for righteousness sake: Allowing ourselves to suffer in the hands of those who do not know nor understand our Savior and His plan for our lives for the purpose of advancing the will of our Savior.
Do you still want to be happy? If so, covet after these things and happiness will be yours.
Copyright © 2010 Patrice Tsague ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
Scripture quotations are taken from the King James Version of the Bible.
Patrice Tsague, a gifted speaker, author, and entrepreneurship coach, is the Chief Servant Officer of Nehemiah Project International Ministries (NPIM). He thrives on equipping and empowering Christians to take dominion and fulfill God’s plan for their lives through biblically based, entrepreneurial training. NPIM offers a proprietary certificate business discipleship course called the “Biblical Entrepreneurship Certificate Program”. The program provides a strong mix of core business concepts and biblical principles. Some of the courses offered include Principles of Biblical Entrepreneurship (BE I), Practices of Biblical Entrepreneurship (BE II), and Planning a Kingdom Business (BE III). To learn more about how NPIM launches entrepreneurs into their God-designed destiny, please visit www.nehemiahproject.org.
Your true life does not have to be only a dream, it can be a dream manifested in 3D! Learn how to Discover, Define, and Drive your desires by unleashing the God given muse to help you envision yourself in a B.I.G. way. God designed you for greatness so stop dreaming small. Uncover your legacy. Now is the season for a Bold Innovative God-Inspired Life! You owe it to yourself to see just how far your true dream in life can take you.
If you are looking for purpose in your life and life in your purpose, this is the perfect book for you. Get your copy today at www.DreamBIGin3D.com.