After the Dream… Now What?

As we reflect on the life of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., one question his legacy asks that demands an answer from all of us is “Now what?” It’s not enough to dream and then do nothing. It’s not enough to pray, but never put your faith to work. It’s not enough to talk about your ideas, but never do anything that makes a difference in someone’s life.

About a year ago I wrote a post, What’s Next?, challenging people to “be the change” not just celebrate it. I asked some challenging questions that are still relevant one year later.

• What are you specific short and long-term life plans?
  • What cause(s) are you so passionate about that you’re willing to be inconvenienced to see change happen?
  • How will you leverage your influence to impact this and the next generation?
  • What changes are you going to implement that will have a positive impact on your circle of influence?
  • Who are you going to reach out to that you were reluctant to before?
  • When are you going to move forward in those areas where you’ve been holding back?
  • How are you going to maximize your talents, resources, and opportunities to make a difference?

If you’re not going to do anything with your dream you might as well stop dreaming. Dream you life, then live your dreams in 3D!

Sweet dreams,
Paul Wilson, Jr.

Dare to dream again in 2010! www.DreamBIGin3D.com

***Get $5 off my book… use code “DREAMBIG”

droppedimage

Dry as Dust Religion

Injured Haitian child in earthquake ~ January 2010

“The gospel at its best deals with the whole man, not only with his soul but also his body, not only his spiritual well-being but also his material well-being. A religion that professes a concern for the souls of men and is not equally concerned about the slums that damn them, the economic conditions that strangle them and the social conditions that cripple them is a dry-as-dust religion.”

~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

Is your religion “dry as dust?” Have you done anything lately to help your neighbor – locally or globally? Time for a soul check…

Dream B.I.G.,
Paul Wilson, Jr.

Dare to dream again in 2010! www.DreamBIGin3D.com

droppedimage

Dreaming BIG with Journey Girls ~ Oct 24

It’s tough being a teenage girl. That’s why I am very excited about any opportunity to be able to provide them with skills to achieve their big dreams. I will be one of the speakers this Saturday in Atlanta at the Basic Training: Life Lessons for High School Girls sponsored by Journey Girls. If you know any teenage girls who could benefit from what will be an incredible experience, please register them at www.journeygirls.org.

2009conferenceflyer

Dream B.I.G.,
Paul Wilson, Jr.

Transform your dream from an idea into a purposeful, passionate, & prosperous life! www.DreamBIGin3D.com

droppedimage

Dreaming B.I.G. with Boys Who D.A.R.E.

I am extremely excited about participating in tomorrow’s B.I.G. Fall Literacy Festival with Paramind Publications and Boys Who D.A.R.E., an  incredible organization focused on improving literacy in boys age 5-17. This event is geared to help our next generation to Dream, Achieve, Read and Empower themselves to live Bold, Innovative, God-Inspired lives!

Also, when you purchase a copy of my book, Dream B.I.G. in 3D!, a portion of the proceeds will go to fund Boys Who D.A.R.E. initiatives.

So come join us tomorrow for a great cause and a great time! Check out the details below…

DARE TO DREAM BIG EVENT FLYER2

Dream B.I.G.,
Paul Wilson, Jr.

Transform your dream from an idea into a purposeful, passionate, & prosperous life! www.DreamBIGin3D.com

droppedimage

Time to Start Daydreaming Again!

Photo Credit: Daydream by Alexander Ovchinnikov

Photo Credit: Daydream by Alexander Ovchinnikov

I am giving you permission to do something you may not have done in a very long time – DAYDREAM! I know that growing up this was often discouraged by your parents and teachers and coaches. However, studies are now showing that daydreaming is actually good for your brain. Unfortunately, lot of adults probably haven’t done it in so long they have forgotten how to do it.

The key to productive daydreaming is to do it with a purpose. Daydreaming on purpose means that you spend time envisioning amazing things you would like to do to improve your life and others. Key benefits to daydreaming on purpose are that it stretches your mind, breaks you out of your normal thought routines, gives you hope for a bright future, and directs your focus to other people. It also keeps your mind fresh and active, so that you won’t be consumed by all bad things happening in the world right now.

If you have been out of practice of day dreaming, I’m going to help you out a little bit. I have a few questions that will stretch your thinking and get your imagination cranking again…

• What would you do in life if there was no chance you could fail?
  • If USAToday decided to write an article about you 10 years from now, what would you want it to say?
  • If you were a superhero, what would you name be? What powers would you possess?
  • If I gave you $10 million today, what would you do to grow it to $50 million?
  • If you had the power, what one problem in your community would you solve and how would you do it?

A friend of mine says that if your memories are bigger than your dreams, you are in trouble. I totally agree. It’s time to ignite your imagination and start daydreaming on purpose.

Dream B.I.G.,
Paul Wilson, Jr.

B.I.G. Dreams are coming to a mind near you very soon! www.DreamBIGin3D.com

droppedimage

Go for the Good! Achieve the Great!

This is article #8 coinciding with the release of my book, Dream B.I.G. in 3D: How to Pursue a Bold, Innovative, God-Inspired Life! Enjoy!

Recently while reading a friend’s Facebook page, I saw this statement, “Just came to the conclusion that I couldn’t care less if I ever get rich. I am more concerned with my life’s work.”

Wow! His powerful declaration really energized me. In this day and age, it’s rare to find a 30-something who is thinking more about the size of his legacy than the size of his bank account!

A lot people say they want to be great at something. Typically they are focused on their profession, artistic abilities, talents, or other things usually associated with fame. However, few people choose to pursue the path of “goodness” to become great. How many people do you know who say they want to become a world-class servant or an industry-leading helper?

Significance vs. Success

Most people are focused on achieving success. They are too consumed with pursuing their own dreams to be “distracted” by helping others pursue theirs. They don’t understand that their dreams can be fulfilled by helping others accomplish theirs.

A person focused on helping others fulfill their dreams is driven by the desire for significance. The beauty of this is they will experience success along the way to significance by helping others achieve success. When you “go for the good” by helping others accomplish their dreams, you will achieve great things!

If you have a longing in your heart to pursue significance, ask yourself these questions:

• Who do I want to impact?
  • What are their challenges that I want to impact?
  • Why do I want to impact them and their challenges?
  • How do I want to impact them?
  • Where do I want to impact them?
  • When do I want to impact them?

You can achieve significance if you start practicing what I call the “Great Ates“. Here’s what you need to do:

Investigate… Evaluate… Initiate… Don’t hate… Participate… Create… Innovate… Collaborate… Elevate… Accentuate… Communicate… Celebrate!

An increasing number of people who are successfully practicing the “Great Ates” are social entrepreneurs. Check this out…

“Social Entrepreneurs: Pioneering Social Change”

Dream B.I.G.,

Paul Wilson, Jr.

B.I.G. Dreams are coming to a mind near you very soon! www.DreamBIGin3D.com

droppedimage

Refocusing on Social Entrepreneurship

If you have spent any time on my blog you will know that I am a very big proponent of social entrepreneurship, especially as it relates to being a vehicle to help facilitate individual and community transformation. I have written several articles related to social entrepreneurship, including:
This week Businessweek.com published a special edition with several articles focused on social entrepreneurship. According to the publication, “As the economy reels, enterprising individuals who apply business practices to solving societal problems are gaining support from public and private sectors.” Here’s the articles in the special edition:

Also, check out this video: Do-Gooders Who Spread the Dough

Hopefully this move by entrepreneurs toward to more socially related ventures will not stop once the economy turns around. I want to be at the forefront of championing social entrepreneurship to become even more mainstream than it is now. Hopefully you do too!

Empowering Champions,

Paul Wilson, Jr.

Thriving Pioneers of Change

“Super Thrive Week” Series

Whenever there are major cultural shifts in our society, there are always pioneering change agents who lead the charge. Athletes – some voluntarily and some involuntarily – have been at the forefront of the major changes in the United States when it comes to race relations. 

While it’s true that some of these athletes gravitated to more of an activist role as their fame increased, others were reluctantly pushed to the forefront because of their success in their field of play. In both cases their influence was initiated by the fact that they excelled at their specialty. This video chronicles some of the most influential athletes and major sports events over the past 75 years that have had an impact outside of sports.

Vodpod videos no longer available.

more about “Jeremy Schaap: The Final Hurdle – ESPN“, posted with vodpod

Becoming a pioneer of change does not always require you to step outside of your area of expertise or circle of influence. Although you may not be an athlete, when you excel at what you do, you will often be given a platform to influence change. In your field of play – where you live, work, play, and worship – opportunities exist for you to make a difference with your talents, resources, and relationships.

The question for you is: Are you willing to be a pioneer to champion change even if you don’t see the end results or get to experience the benefits of your efforts?

Well, whether you want it or not, your opportunity might be right around the corner. Get ready. Become the expert at what you do. Don’t miss your chance to make a difference.

Thrive on Purpose,
Paul Wilson, Jr.

——————–

Are you an OA?

Follow my conversations on twitter.com/pwilsonjr

droppedimage

Be the Dream… Be the Change!

A few days ago I was coming down the stairs very early in the morning. It was pitch black except for this strange green glow over in the corner. Initially I didn’t know what it was, but I then realized it was a little green light coming from my Blackberry that was plugged into the wall. As I got closer to it I was thinking, “That light is really bright.” I turned the lights on and walked closer to the phone. At that point the light didn’t seem so bright.

It made me think that a light is really bright when everything around it is completely dark. However, it doesn’t seem so bright when the lights are on. So what does that say about how and where we apply our lives? If we only hang around other “lights” (those with ideas, talents, and resources to make a difference), then our light isn’t having much of an impact. However, if we spend our time in areas and situations of darkness our light can shine very brightly.

The question is do you look for opportunities to shine in complete darkness, so that everyone around you would see your light and be drawn to and influenced by you? With the stock market, to get the greatest return on your investment, you are supposed to “buy high and sell low”. Likewise, you will reap the greatest return on your life investments – time, talents, and resources – when you invest in other people who may be at the lowest point of their lives.

Martin Luther King, probably the individual whom the word dream is most ascribed to, made a powerful statement, when he said:martin-barack-crop

“The gospel at its best deals with the whole man, not only with his soul but also his body, not only his spiritual well-being but also his material well-being. A religion that professes a concern for the souls of men and is not equally concerned about the slums that damn them, the economic conditions that strangle them and the social conditions that cripple them is a dry-as-dust religion.”

King’s dream wasn’t just about racial reconciliation. It was about love in action (what really is love absent from action?). President Obama’s vision for America is not just about a superficial “change” that doesn’t require you to participate or do anything different. His vision is for everyone together to shoulder the responsibility and accountability for “remaking America.” That means you and I getting involved in other people’s lives.

The hurting, hopeless, disregarded, and disenfranchised – especially our youth – need an investment of your time, talents, resources, ideas, and energy. They need to experience our dreams in action. They need the opportunity to work side by side with us. They need to learn from our mistakes. They need to see up close our successes and failures. They need intelligent solutions not just complaining and rehashing of old problems. They may need a pat on the back or a kick in the aspirations, but they still need us.

In essence, they need to experience love in action. That’s the true fulfillment of King’s dream.

Don’t wait for someone else to start the change. You can be the change catalyst in your family, church, community, city, nation, and world. I encourage you today to be the light in someone else’s darkness (Matthew 5:14-16).

Thrive on Purpose,

Paul Wilson, Jr.

——————–

Are you an OA?

droppedimage

What’s Next?

Now that the “change” President is in office, the real question is what’s next for you? One can so easily get swept up in all the hoopla that surrounds Barack Obama and the hope that he’s going to somehow transform our country. The fact is he can’t do it alone. Each of us has a significant role to play to see our country, economy, and generation transformed for the better. Although the inauguration is over, the work is just beginning. So, here are a few questions for you to ponder:

• What are you specific short and long-term life plans?
  • What cause(s) are you so passionate about that you’re willing to be inconvenienced to see change happen?
  • How will you leverage your influence to impact this and the next generation?
  • What changes are you going to implement that will have a positive impact on your circle of influence?
  • Who are you going to reach out to that you were reluctant to before?
  • When are you going to move forward in those areas where you’ve been holding back?
  • How are you going to maximize your talents, resources, and opportunities to make a difference?

Don’t miss your opportunity to seize this momentum in history to do something bigger, better, and bolder with you life.

Thrive on Purpose,

Paul Wilson, Jr.

——————–

Are you an OA?

droppedimage